I made this ice cream for my best friend’s birthday because it is her favorite flavor from Coldstone Creamery. She LOVED it as well as the rest of my family. She said it was better than Coldstone’s! Everyone who has tried it thinks it tastes just like when you lick the bowl of cake batter! And it’s 100% vegan. Give it a go. You’ll thank me later. I use a 1.5 quart Cuisinart that I purchased from amazon this summer. I love it!
2 cans of full-fat coconut milk
¼ cup of the sweetener of your choice (cane sugar, maple syrup, agave)
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup of cake mix of your choice
- Freeze ice cream maker base 16-24 hours ahead of time
- Shake the cans of coconut to make sure everything is blended
- Put ½ cup of coconut milk aside and add the rest of the coconut milk to a sauce pan
- Add sweetener and salt to the sauce pan
- Heat the sauce pan on medium-low heat until the sweetener has dissolved completely
- Whisk cornstarch with the ½ cup of coconut milk that was set aside.
- Thoroughly mix until completely dissolved (no chunks!).
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the sauce pan
- Warm the mixture until it has thickened to the point that it could cover a spoon but do not boil!
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, cake mix, and sprinkles
- Pour base into a container, let cool and then cover with plastic wrap and a lid and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours before using.