This recipe is fabulous and I really want some green tea ice cream now.
2 cans of full-fat coconut milk
1/2 cup of the sweetener of your choice (cane sugar, maple syrup, agave)
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tsp matcha powder
- Freeze ice cream maker base 16-24 hours ahead of time
- Shake the cans of coconut to make sure everything is blended
- Put ½ cup of coconut milk aside and add the rest of the coconut milk to a sauce pan
- Add sweetener and salt to the sauce pan
- Heat the sauce pan on medium-low heat until the sweetener has dissolved completely
- Whisk cornstarch with the ½ cup of coconut milk that was set aside.
- Thoroughly mix until completely dissolved (no chunks!).
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan.
- Warm the mixture until it has thickened to the point that it could cover a spoon but do not boil!
- Whisk 1 tsp of matcha powder until there are no chunks.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour base into a container, let cool and then cover with plastic wrap and a lid and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours before using.