Books! Books are the cheapest, easiest way to escape. At the moment, I am getting lost in a massive castle with many secrets that I have yet to discover. I took a long, beautiful train through the greenest scenery I have ever had the pleasure to see. Every day I watch, mystified, as hundreds of owls deliver mail to fellow students. I learned how to fly on a broom, how to play a sport I had never even heard of before coming to this school, and I can get around this castle unseen whenever I so choose. Of course, not everything is great. I live with some nasty people for two months out of the year and I always seems to be under attack by someone each school year. Yet, still, I am grateful for this castle and these halls and these strange people who understand me and treat me like family.
Books can take you literally anywhere. To another world, another universe, to space, to a different country, a different city, a different time, or just simply to a different life. The possibilities are endless within the bounds of a book. They’re also a cheap travel choice when you want to escape but can’t at the moment.
List of books for your escape:
- The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- Blue Sun, Yellow Sky by Jamie Jo Hoang
- Summer at Sea by Beth Labonte
- Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savanah Story by John Berendt
- The Geography of Bliss: One Grump’s Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Erin Weiner
- Young, Restless, and Broke: A Novel by Blossom Kan and Michelle Yu
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (transfers you to a different time)
- Love, Nina: A Nanny Writes Home by Nina Stibbe
- Blackout by Connie Willis
- All Clear by Connie Willis
Go on! Pick up a book and get lost.