2 cans of full-fat coconut milk
¼ cup of the sweetener of your choice (cane sugar, maple syrup, agave)
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup of brownie mix of your choice
*If you want to add brownie bites:
Mix a small amount of oil and water with desired amount of brownie mix and follow the directions on the box to cook. Keep a close eye on the brownies and make sure not to overcook them! I like to keep mine a little moist since they will harden with the ice cream. Once cooked to your liking, let cool. Add to your ice cream according to your preference. I like to add the brownie bites after the ice cream is in the ice cream maker and has been churning for a few minutes.
- Freeze ice cream maker base 16-24 hours ahead of time
- Shake the cans of coconut to make sure everything is blended
- Put ½ cup of coconut milk aside and add the rest of the coconut milk to a sauce pan
- Add sweetener and salt to the sauce pan
- Heat the sauce pan on medium-low heat until the sweetener has dissolved completely
- Whisk cornstarch with the ½ cup of coconut milk that was set aside. Thoroughly mix until completely dissolved (no chunks!).
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the sauce pan
- Warm the mixture until it has thickened to the point that it could cover a spoon but do not boil!
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and brownie mix
- Pour base into a container, let cool and then cover with plastic wrap and a lid and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours before using.